Welcome!

My photo
Fort Worth, TX, United States
Furniture, accessories and all things design are our passion. We love to find treasures and give them a new life in hopes of bringing extra character to your home. Reusing and recycling is essential to being environmentally friendly and allows you to see beyond imperfections and capture the beauty in all things. Refreshingly Chic has a growing inventory of refinished furniture and accessories for sale. We also customize, refinish and retrofit pieces for clients and can work with existing pieces you already own.
Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, October 8, 2011

{chic recycling} Anniversary gift

We love being green at Refreshingly Chic!

Not only do we refinish vintage & antique furniture but we like to think outside the box and find new ways to use tired furniture, or components of old furniture.

We will share our {chic recycling} ideas here & give tutorials on how you can achieve the same look for yourselves!

*  *  *  *  *

Six years ago today, Tyler & I (Allison) got married so we thought it would be perfect share my anniversary gift to him.

IMGP9682IMGP9674IMGP9665

I loved the idea of showcasing locations of where we met, got married and now live using old maps!

For this project I used old drawers as my “canvas”. This wood is fabulous, solid and has great character. I particularly love the exposed nails from where the drawers were construction.

The boards were already a perfect size so we cleaned them up a bit and used 3 strips of wood to secure the two boards together. Simply use wood glue between the two drawer boards and again to adhere the 3 strips of wood on the back.

Clamp the boards together so it dries securely and wipe of excess glue.

IMGP9639

After the glue dries (I let mine dry overnight) remove the clamps and you should have 3 solid boards.

IMGP9636

Next find some maps. Dig through old drawers, ask friends & family or purchase them at your local grocery store or gas station. My mother-in-law had some lying around that she gave me. Thanks Janet!!

IMGP9641

Find the areas you want to display and cut a heart with the center point being your desired location.

I cut out 3 hearts, but cut as many or few as you like!

I also used my Cricut to cut out my lettering from the maps.

Now gather the rest of your supplies … Mod Podge, paint brush and ruler.

IMGP9655

Use your ruler to find the center of your board. Apply your heart and letters to the board using your mod podge.

IMGP9656

Be sure to put a coat under the maps and a coat over the whole board to give a uniform look.

IMGP9660

Let the boards dry and you’re done!

This project is easy & very inexpensive. I spent a total of ZERO dollars on this gift. The maps were donated, the old drawers were free (and being thrown away!) and I had the other supplies handy.

IMGP9668IMGP9666IMGP9669

Have you recycled furniture in a creative way? Share with us and we can feature you on our blog!

3 comments:

  1. Loved how they turned out! And you r so fancy to measure thbe center. :) maybe that is why my projects are all lopsided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I have a stash of vintage maps and can't wait to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These kinds of electrical generators are likewise restricted
    in a couple of means. This is specifically true along with respect to the amount of colloidal silver that
    you can make utilizing them. If you surpass 15ppm then you will certainly find it to
    be really difficult to obtain the preferred substance.



    Also visit my web blog ... Colloidal Silver Generator

    ReplyDelete