Since we have our new home office (seen here) complete, we are turning our dining room back into a dining room! Thanks to a few garage sale and Craigslist finds, we have a dining table & chairs. Both need a little work but you couldn’t beat the prices!
Next on the list was a chandelier.
I found this chandelier on Craigslist for $40.
It had great shape but needed a bit of work to fit the style of our room.
First I hung it on our garage and sanded the arms and body of the chandelier. A simple light sanding to scuff the existing finish will help the new paint adhere.
Then I cleaned the chandelier and taped off the tops of the candle holders to ensure paint didn’t get in the light sockets. We replaced our candle holders so it was okay to get over spray on them since we tossed them when the painting was complete.
In the instance where we were missing a candle holder I just taped off the exposed wiring and light socket.
Don’t forget to also sand, prep and paint your canopy and chain.
I used a ziplock bag to hold the extra wires and taped them to my fancy wire hanger which held my chandelier in the garage. This will keep it out of the way while you’re painting.
If you are painting directly onto metal I suggest priming with a metal primer. Since our chandelier had previously been painted I simply used a metallic Valspar spray paint. It covered very well and sprayed evenly, producing a great finish.
I was able to spray two coats and get full coverage on my chandelier.
I ordered white candle covers with faux wax dripping online for $1 per cover, plus shipping. Once those arrived in the mail Tyler hung the chandelier and we were done!
Stay tuned to see the rest of our dining room transformation!